And there it is. During the media scrum for the upcoming ROH Final Battle pay-per-view this weekend, Tony Khan revealed some of the details behind William Regal’s departure from AEW and return to WWE.
Khan said that Regal approached Megha Parekh, who is part of AEW’s legal team, with a request for the promotion not to renew his deal, as he wanted to return to WWE. Not only is his son working in WWE, but he also wanted to coach alongside some of his old friends now that Triple H has gained control of the company.
Furthermore, Khan says that Regal’s release dictates he can go back to WWE and coach but not be an on-air personality in 2023.
Tony Khan says William Regal's release dictates he is able to go back to #WWE and coach, but not be able to go on-air in the next year.
He says he was surprised by the tweet from WWE showcasing him on TV. #AEW #ROH #FinalBattle
— Jon Alba (@JonAlba) December 7, 2022
He was written off of television on last week’s episode of Dynamite, when MJF knocked him out with the same brass knuckles that Regal gave him to win the AEW World Heavyweight Championship.
AEW shared an interview that Tony Schiavone did with Regal prior to the match at Full Gear, you can see it in the tweet below:
.@RealKingRegal is #BlackpoolCombatClub until the day he dies.#AEWDynamite is LIVE on TBS! pic.twitter.com/DaHOO9dQMp
— All Elite Wrestling (@AEW) December 8, 2022
This is an interesting clause to the contract, not having Regal be able to appear on television in the next calendar year. However, he will be a tremendous asset to everyone he gets to work with in WWE, and I am sure they will be glad to have him back!
Get the LATEST RUMORS! Click to sign up for the exclusive Wrestling Rumors daily newsletter.
The post Tony Khan Reveals Details Of William Regal’s Return To WWE appeared first on WrestlingRumors.net.